Gingersnap Cookies

Gingersnap Cookies

It's time for cookies!! You have no idea how excited I am that the theme for our Blogger Recipe Challenge group for December is COOKIES! 

Seriously, I have SO many favorites to share with you. Several are family faves, recipes handed down to me by my grandmothers and my mom. Others are ones that I myself created and have been baking for my kids.

My mom's favorite cookie is the Gingersnap, and I was inspired by one of my grandma's old cookbooks to make these. This cookbook is so old, they used Oleo as the fat. You'd be surprised at how many of both of my grandma's recipes call for Oleo or shortening.  So of course I tweaked all of their recipes just a bit. 

The best part about these Gingersnaps is cutting them into different shapes.  The traditional shape is a circle, but I also used rectangle cutters and a snowflake too. Have fun with this, and cut out any shape you'd like!



Holiday Gingersnaps
Recipe written by The Chef Next Door
Makes approx. 6 dozen small cookies
Print this recipe

Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup hot espresso, or very strong coffee
1/3 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat; set aside.

In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the hot coffee to the molasses and stir well, then add it to the mixer. 

In a bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, in a few additions, mixing well after each one.  Chill the dough for approximately one hour. 

Once the dough is chilled, roll it out onto a lightly floured board, about an 1/8 of an inch thick. Cut out your shapes, then roll the scraps of dough back out again and repeat.

Bake the cookies for 15 minutes. Leave them on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in a cookie jar or a container with a tight lid.

Bon Appetit!



No comments :

Post a Comment