BBQ Chicken & Pineapple Quesadillas

BBQ Chicken & Pineapple Quesadillas

Continuing down my path of cooking up some of Pioneer Woman's recipes, I give you BBQ chicken and pineapple quesadillas. 

My oldest son loves quesadillas. I mean really loves them. My youngest and I love them too, but the oldest could eat them every day. And that is no joke!

He loves for me to make bean and cheese quesadillas on the weekend for lunch. I think it's literally what he has every Saturday afternoon.

So just imagine his excitement when he stumbled upon the recipe for BBQ chicken and pineapple quesadillas in PW's cookbook. He turned to me and literally said, "mom, you have to make these right now!" Of course I was already cooking dinner at the time, and I didn't have all of the ingredients that the recipe called for. So the quesadillas would have to wait. At least for a few days that is.

I made these, we all loved them, and they are definitely on my list to make again. Very soon in fact. I may have these on a weekly or bi-weekly rotation. 

I tell ya', we just love quesadillas around here. Just sayin'.

PW wrote a post about these quesadillas that you can find here, which is just slightly different from the one in her cookbook.

BBQ Chicken & Pineapple Quesadillas
Recipe courtesy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier


Ingredients:
1/2 fresh pineapple
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded fairly thin
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
4 Tbsp butter, for frying
8 flour tortillas
1 jalapeno
1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
Sour cream and salsa, to use as toppings, if desired

Take your pineapple and cut it into wedges lengthwise. Grill them over low-medium heat, turning frequently, until warm. Remove and cut into small chunks. Set aside.


Sprinkle your chicken breasts with salt and pepper and grill them over medium heat until done. Brush both sides of the chicken with the BBQ sauce generously. 


Once your chicken is cooked completely, set aside for a few minutes until cool enough to handle. Slice it into very thin slices and set aside. 


As the chicken is cooking, grill your whole jalapeno pepper as well. I just put mine to the side of my grill pan and turned it frequently, until it had grill marks on all sides. Once it has been grilled, cut the pepper into thin slices and set aside.

Now it's time to assemble your quesadillas. On top of one tortilla, place some chicken slices, some pineapple chunks and some sliced jalapenos (if desired). Drizzle a little extra barbecue sauce over the top, then sprinkle on a good handful of the shredded cheese. Put another tortilla on top and press down gently. Repeat this process another three times until you have four quesadillas total.  



Warm a griddle or large pan over medium heat and add one tablespoon of butter.  Add a quesadilla and cook until brown on one side, then flip over and cook on the other side until brown and the cheese is melted. Repeat by adding another tablespoon of butter to your griddle and cooking each quesadilla until they are all cooked.

Slice the quesadillas into wedges and serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.

Bon Appetit!



No comments :

Post a Comment