Crunchy Mediterranean Salad & Chili Lime Pita Chips

Crunchy Mediterranean Salad & Chili Lime Pita Chips

Lunchtime has been difficult for me the last few years. I work from home and there are days when I stare into my frig like it's the abyss. Hello? Is there anyone in there? I expect someone to answer me but it never happens.

I get tired of eating the same old sandwiches, soups and salads for lunch. I want variety, and it needs to taste good, be quick and somewhat healthy. And I refuse to run out everyday for take out. It just doesn't make sense and it's a waste of money!

So in keeping with my goal to eat healthier in 2013, I set out to find some new and improved lunch recipes. I found this fabulous Mediterranean salad recipe on the Six Sisters Stuff website right away. Lucky for me I didn't have to look too hard! 

Lots of crunchy vegetables, creamy chickpeas and tangy red wine vinegar are a perfect combination. And this is super easy to put together! Combined with some homemade pita chips and you have the best lunch ever! 

And it's filling, but not too filling. 

Like where you want to take a nap when you're done eating. This salad isn't like that at all. It actually gives you energy!

Whip this up the night before you want to take it to work. I promise you won't be disappointed.


Crunchy Mediterranean Salad with Chili Lime Pita Chips
Salad recipe slightly adapted from Six Sisters Stuff

Salad Ingredients: 
1 (15 ounces) can chickpeas, drained
1 cucumber, diced
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup finely chopped salad (I used a combo of baby lettuces)
2 tablespoons finely chopped black olives
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

Pita Chips Ingredients:
2 whole pita breads
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
Juice of half of a lime
Salt and pepper

Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.

For the pita chips, combine the olive oil, chili powder and lime juice in a small bowl. Lay your pitas out and brush both sides with the chili lime oil mixture. Use a sharp knife and cut the pitas into 12 triangles. Put them in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, until toasted and crispy.

Bon Appetit!





4 comments :

  1. Yum - I'm adding this to our easy dinner options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! I think you all will really enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I am going to try this one out. It looks very tasty!!

    ReplyDelete